I went for my u/s on Weds and the boys are growing fine. Rock is 1 lb, 2 oz and Roll is 1 lb, 3 oz. We even got a precious pic of Roll punching Rock in the head! Both babies are still breech. Hearts and brains look fine but unfortunately, my cervix did not.

The tech says, “I don’t like your cervix, I’m going to ask the OB.”

The OB says, “I don’t like your cervix either. I want to see you again on Friday. If it doesn’t improve, you’ll get a cerclage.”

So Thursday was my frantic day trying to catch up on the work I missed during leave and my OB calls and says, “don’t eat or drink anything after midnight just in case we need to do surgery on friday.

Friday morning arrives and my cervix has improved but not enough. OB says he going to do the cerclage because if we miss this opportunity, it will be too late down the road and he won’t be able to stop pre-term labor. Before I know it, I’m in surgery and they put in the cerclage. I had to put my legs in these super mega-stirrups (like the shepherd’s crooks you hang potted plants from). It went well although at one point, my BP dropped and I thought I was going to puke all over MO2’s buddy, the nurse anesthestist. Luckily, he gave me some ephedra  and I was ok again.

I was admitted last night for observation. MO2 was exhausted after staying with me all day  so I sent him home. I did have a lot of visitors because our Public Health Officers work the 7p-7am shift, so my friend, Gina , visited for 1.5 hours. Another friend visited after morning report this morning before MO2 came to retrieve me.The surgery was a success and now my cervix is measuring 4 inches again. (It had been down to 2). If nothing changes after a couple of weeks of bedrest I might be able to go back to work part-time for 4 hours every other day.   The boys are fine!!! They dopplered them every shift and they are doing great. They had to give me 2 percocet for pain yesterday but I haven’t needed any more meds. I still have some bright pink bleeding but that is because they stitched my cervix, it is not from my uterus and it is stopping. I  will now have a u/s every week.

I am now on modified bed rest which means that I can drive if I have to, I can make a sandwich, I can do chores sitting down and I can walk for up to 15 minutes at a time.  That’s about it. I may not go to work but I can work from home.  MO2 has already arranged for some friends to come and check in when he goes to KS to pick up DSS. I am truly hoping that I will do ok and that is the last intervention I will need. It was truly scary because I have not had any symptoms and if I hadn’t gone in for that routine appointment, who knows how this would have gone. I’m just glad they acted quickly and early.


2 responses »

  1. Phew! Scary indeed! I’m glad that they did what they needed to and discovered the problem when they did. I hope you don’t go stir crazy being the home bound. Glad Rock and Roll are doing so well!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s